THE CONSUMER REPORTS 2013 CAR SWEEPSTAKES
Awarding prizes since 1985
OFFICIAL RULES – NO CONTRIBUTION, DONATION OR PAYMENT IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS SWEEPSTAKES. A CONTRIBUTION, DONATION OR PAYMENT DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. TO ENTER: Complete the included reply form as instructed elsewhere in this offer. Sweepstakes begins on 1/1/13 and ends on 12/31/13. All entries must be postmarked by 12/31/13 and received by 1/7/14. No mechanically reproduced entries will be accepted. Entries become property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
2. TO DETERMINE WINNERS: The sweepstakes numbers on eligible entries that are received during the Entry Period will be compared between 1/30/14 and 3/31/14 against prize winning numbers pre-selected by computer. Unclaimed prizes will be awarded in random drawings conducted on or about 4/30/14 from among all other valid entries received during the Entry Period. Selection of winning numbers, comparison of numbers, and random drawings will be conducted by Ventura Associates Intl. LLC, (“Ventura”) an independent judging agency whose decisions are final.
3. CONSUMER DISCLOSURE AND PRIZES: You have not yet won. No purchase or donation necessary to enter or win. One (1) Grand Prize: Winner’s choice of ONE (1) of the following: 1) a top rated family vehicle, the actual car that was run through our demanding testing program at the Consumer Reports’ Auto Test Center in Connecticut (approximately $20,000 value), or 2) $25,000 cash. One (1) Bonus Prize: $5,000 Cash. The Bonus Prize will be awarded to the Grand Prize winner only if the Grand Prize winner’s winning Entry was in response to the Sweepstakes offer that promoted the Bonus Prize. One (1) First Prize: $5,000; Two (2) Second Prizes: $1,000 each; Five (5) Third Prizes: $500 each; Ten (10) Fourth Prizes: $250 each; and One Hundred (100) Fifth Prizes: A one-year subscription to Sponsor’s newsletter on Health or Finance ($24 each). Total estimated value of prizes: $39,400. Any expenses not mentioned above are the sole responsibility of winners. Winners are responsible for all federal, state and local taxes. Grand Prize winner will be responsible for license, title, tags and registration fees if they pick the automobile. By selecting the automobile, the grand prize winner is responsible for transporting the automobile from Connecticut to the winner’s home residence and must provide evidence of insurance and a valid driver’s license before picking up the automobile. Odds of winning depend on mailing notices distributed: Grand and First Prize 1:11,500,000; Second Prize 1:5,750,000; Third Prize 1:2,300,000; Fourth Prize 1:1,150,000; Fifth Prize 1:115,000. Odds of winning a prize depend upon the number of unclaimed prizes and number of eligible entries received. All prizes guaranteed to be awarded. Sponsor: Consumer Reports, 101 Truman Ave., Yonkers, NY, 10703-1057.
4. ELIGIBILITY: Sweepstakes is open to the legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., ages 18 or older, to whom this offer is addressed. Employees and board members of Consumer Reports, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and production agencies, Ventura (“Sweepstakes Entities”), and their immediate families are not eligible to enter. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law.
5. WINNER NOTIFICATION: Winners will be notified by mail and may be required to complete an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release (“Release”), including but not limited to providing proof of identity, which must be returned within seven (7) days of the date on the notification letter or alternate winners will be selected. If any prize is won by a minor (as defined by the laws in the state in which they reside), the Release must be signed by the Minor’s parent or legal guardian. Any prize notification letter or prize returned as undeliverable or Release not returned in the required timeframe will automatically disqualify the person as a winner. An IRS Form 1099 will be filed in the name of any winner awarded a prize of $600 or more. Limit: 1 prize per household. No substitution for prizes. Prizes are not transferable. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission (except where prohibited) to use winner’s name and likeness for publicity purposes without additional compensation. If by reason of printing or other error more prizes are claimed in any prize category than the number set forth in these official rules, a random drawing will be conducted from among all valid claims to award the advertised number of prizes. In no event will more than the advertised number of prizes be awarded.
6. GENERAL: By participating, entrants agree to these Official Rules, the decisions of the Judges and the Sponsor which will be final and binding, and on behalf of their respective heirs, executors, administrators, legal representatives, successors and assigns, (“Releasing Parties”), release, defend and hold harmless the Sweepstakes Entities, as well as the employees, officers, directors and agents of each (“Released Parties”), from any and all actions, causes of action, suits, debts, expenses, lost profits, indirect or direct damages, consequential incidental, punitive or exemplary damages, judgments, claims and demands whatsoever, against any and all Released Parties which arise out of or result from entrant’s participation in the Sweepstakes or acceptance and use or misuse of any prize. In the event Sponsor is prevented from continuing with the Sweepstakes as contemplated herein by any event beyond its control, including but not limited to fire, flood, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, war or any federal, state, or local government law, order, or regulation, or order of any court or other cause not within Sponsor’s control or concerns regarding the safety of any winner, Sponsor reserves the right to: permanently disqualify from the Sweepstakes any person it believes has violated these Official Rules; and modify or terminate the Sweepstakes if it becomes technically corrupted (including if a computer virus or system malfunction impairs its ability to conduct the Sweepstakes), or to select winners from among all eligible entries received prior to termination. Entrants assume all liability for any injury, including death or damage caused or claimed to be caused, by participation in this Sweepstakes or use or redemption of any prize. This Sweepstakes will be governed by the laws of the State of New York without regard to its conflicts of laws provisions. Any disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the Sweepstakes, will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. Any action or litigation concerning this Sweepstakes shall take place exclusively in the federal or state courts sitting in N.Y., New York, and each Entrant expressly consents to the jurisdiction of and venue in such courts and waives all defenses of lack of jurisdiction and inconvenient forum with respect to such courts. Each Entrant agrees to service of process by mail or other method acceptable under the laws of the State of New York. ANY CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND/OR AWARDS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ENTERING THIS PROMOTION. ENTRANT HEREBY WAIVES ANY RIGHTS OR CLAIMS TO ATTORNEY’S FEES, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ENTRANT, WHETHER FORESEEABLE OR NOT AND WHETHER BASED ON NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Sweepstakes or in the announcement of any prize. No more than the listed number of prizes will be awarded. Entry materials/data that have been tampered with or altered are void. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, damaged, postage due or illegible entries or the failure of any third party to comply with the instructions and proper administration of this Sweepstakes.
7. WINNERS LIST: For a list of prize winners go to www.consumerreports.org/cro/winners-list or send a self-addressed stamped envelope before 5/31/14 to: Consumer Reports 2013 Car Sweepstakes Winners List, Consumer Reports, 101 Truman Avenue, Yonkers, NY 10703.
If you’d prefer not to receive future sweepstakes mailings from Sponsor, please send your request to Consumer Reports, 101 Truman Ave., Yonkers, NY 10703-1057, Attn: Fundraising – No Sweepstakes.