|

Thompson's WaterSeal Advanced Waterproofer wood stain

 
Approximate retail price:
$23
Summary: This model has been tested by our experts.
Dividing line
Community icon8 people have reviewed this model.
Type: Clear sealer wood stains
About - Thompson's WaterSeal Advanced Waterproofer

The Thompson's WaterSeal Advanced Waterproofer is part of the wood stain test program at Consumer Reports. In our lab tests, wood stain models like the WaterSeal Advanced Waterproofer are rated on multiple criteria, such as those listed below.


Appearance after 1 year:
Appearance after one year summarizes performance after one year of our accelerated weathering.
About This Brand

With an effective advertising campaign that includes television spots over the last decade or two, Thompson's WaterSeal has become a recognizable brand leader in deck treatments. Thompson's signature product is a clear waterproofing finish, and the company has expanded its line to include oil and latex stains. Thompson's is available nationally through home centers and major retailers such as Walmart.

Features & Specs - Thompson's WaterSeal Advanced Waterproofer
info Resists cracking No
info Resists color change No
info Resists dirt No
info Resists mildew Yes
info VOCs (grams/liter) 100
More features and specs
User Reviews - Thompson's WaterSeal Advanced Waterproofer
User Reviews
Already own it? Write a review
 
1.0
Don't waist your time!
6/12/2015
Pros
Cons
Best Uses
Comment:
Finally, we decided to stain our six year old deck. We went to several hardware stores for info, and the consensus was to use Thompson's Advanced. We fallowed the product label instructions to a T. We wanted the ultimate result. At first, the job looked amazing. But, soon after the project was complete, we noticed the finish was breaking down and coming off the wood. Then winter hit. By spring, we had about 30% of the finish remaining. No exaggeration, 70% was gone! Now, what do we do? Yes, Thompson's gave us a refund. In fact, they were quick in doing so. But now I have a mess. Over $2000 to professionally fix the mess or spent another 3 weeks of my valuable time to fix what Thompson's created. Hey Thompson's, NEVER AGAIN will your product or anything associated with you, ever be purchased by us again! Buyer beware!
How long have you owned it:
Bottom Line
No, I would not recommend this to a friend.
(1 of 1 customers found this review helpful)
 
1.0
Deck finish is milky
5/10/2015
Pros
Open Case Immediately
Cons
Deck Finish Milky
formula change
Guarantee Only Material
Labor Removal Not Include
Best Uses
Comment:
We've used Thompsons Waterseal for over 25 years; we recently applied to our 500 ft. deck that turned the finish milky. Thompsons opened a case # reimbursing us for the 5 gal can and shipped us Max Strength Deck Striper to remove finish. They will not cover labor to remove and cost of materials, we have three quotes more than $2500 each to remove the watersealer. I will not use Thompson products again.
How long have you owned it:
More than six months
Bottom Line
No, I would not recommend this to a friend.
(2 of 2 customers found this review helpful)
 
1.0
Does NOT last, 9 months
4/21/2015
Pros
Cons
Best Uses
Comment:
Had used this product in the past. Company must of changed the ingredients, DOES NOT last: only 9 months and most of it is worn off and bare wood again. Satisfaction guarantee(what a joke} Don't waste your time and money on this product!!!!!
How long have you owned it:
More than six months
Bottom Line
No, I would not recommend this to a friend.
See all Models
Nobody Tests Like
We Do
Our testers put 100s of products through their paces at our National Testing and Research Center. Learn more about how we test for:
Performance
Safety
Reliability
Learn more