The Consumer Products Safety Commission announced today the recall of 2 million containers of gel-based fuels, used in so-called "firepots." The pourable fuel can unexpectedly ignite and splash onto users when poured into already-lit firepots, posing a risk of burning the user.
The CPSC reports of 65 incidents where splattering, burning fuel gel resulted in two deaths and 34 victims who were hospitalized with second and third degree burns of the face, chest, hands, arms or legs.
Today's recall involves gel fuels packaged in one-quart plastic bottles and one-gallon plastic jugs and sold in scented and non-scented formulations. They were sold at various outlets since 2008 for between $5 and $20 by the following companies:
- Bird Brain Inc. (www.birdbrain.com) of Ypsilanti, Mich.
- Bond Manufacturing (www.bondmfg.com) of Antioch, Calif.
- Sunjel Company (2 Burn Inc., www.thesunjelcompany.com) of Milwaukee
- Fuel Barons Inc (www.fuelbarons.com) of Lake Tahoe, Nev.
- Lamplight Farms Inc. (www.lamplight.com) of Menomonee Falls, Wis.
- Luminosities Inc. (Windflame, www.windflame.com) of St. Paul, Minn.
- Pacific Décor Ltd. (www.pacificdecorltd.com) of Woodinwille, Wash.
- Real Flame (www.realflame.com) of Racine, Wis.
- Smart Solar USA (SmartSolar.com/USA/) of Oldsmar, Fla.
Back in June, the CPSC had issued a recall for Napa Home & Garden gel fuels and announced an investigation into firepot burn accidents. The agency also issued a general alert to consumers, warning of the burn hazards posed by all fuel gels.
The CPSC urges retailers to stop selling the recalled gel fuels and remove existing stock from store shelves. Consumers are also urged to discontinue use of the gel-based fuels and contact the manufacturers for refunds and information on how to return unused bottles of the fuel.
If you have been injured by burning fuel gel or had a recent incident with gel-based fuels and would like to share it with the CPSC, visit the agency's website: www.SaferProducts.gov.
Nine Manufacturers, Distributors Announce Recall of Pourable Gel Fuel Due to Burn and Flash Fire Hazards [CPSC]