How to determine tax on the sale of stock received as a gift

To get the tax you'll have to figure the cost basis

Published: May 30, 2014 05:00 PM

Q: My father gifted me some stock that I sold this year. How do I account for this on my taxes? —R.C., Brooklyn, N.Y.

A: First, for tax purposes you'll need to determine the basis of the asset. If the stock has gone up, you'll pay tax on the difference between that amount and your sale price. With some exceptions, your basis is what your father paid for the stock, plus commissions. If the shares lost value between the time your father bought them and gifted them and declined further when you sold them, you normally have a deductible loss. In that instance, your basis is the value of the stock at the time of the gift. 

You'll need to know what your father paid (including the commission), plus the value of the shares on the gift date. You'll also need to account for stock splits and mergers. If your father doesn't have the original sales documents, you might have to work backward to figure that out. Contact the investor-relations department of the company or its successor for guidance. A CPA also can assist.

Send your questions to

—Consumer Reports Money Adviser

Get much more tax-related information through the Consumer Reports Income Tax Guide.

E-mail Newsletters

FREE e-mail Newsletters! Choose from cars, safety, health, and more!
Already signed-up?
Manage your newsletters here too.

Money News


Cars Build & Buy Car Buying Service
Save thousands off MSRP with upfront dealer pricing information and a transparent car buying experience.

See your savings


Mobile Get Ratings on the go and compare
while you shop

Learn more