New Listeria Outbreak Linked to Deli Meat
CR says to avoid Italian-style cold cuts for now
Ten people in three states have become infected with Listeria monocytogenes, apparently after eating deli meat, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Friday. All were hospitalized, and one person has died.
No brand, retailer, or supplier has been identified yet, but the nine people health officials interviewed reported eating Italian-style meats such as salami, mortadella, or prosciutto. The meats were both prepackaged and purchased from deli counters.
The illnesses occurred in Florida, Massachusetts, and New York.
Deli meat is just one food associated with outbreaks of listeriosis, the illness caused by listeria bacteria, in recent years. Other outbreaks have involved soft cheeses, ice cream, and frozen vegetables. "Unlike some other types of bacteria that cause foodborne illness, it can continue to grow at refrigerator temperatures," says James E. Rogers, PhD, director of food-safety testing and research at Consumer Reports.