Smartphones With the Best Battery Life
These 10 devices will run all day, then keep going
For some people, battery life is the single most important factor in choosing a smartphone. After all, the best phone in the world isn’t worth much if it can’t get you through the day without a pit stop at a power outlet.
The good news is that smartphone battery life has improved significantly in recent years, courtesy of the increased capacity of batteries—4000mAh (milliamp hours) and higher—and processors and wireless connections that smartly adjust power consumption to suit the job at hand.
But keep in mind that a large-capacity battery requires a large-capacity shell, so the smartphones featured here tend to be on the bigger side.
Tips to Extend Battery Life
If your phone has a low-power mode, you might not need to do each of these. The feature automatically makes some of the adjustments when the battery drops below a certain level.
- Set the screen brightness to Auto so that the device can adjust to indoor and outdoor conditions.
- Lower the baseline brightness. In most phones, you can do this by using a sliding switch in the Display menu.
- Set the screen to go to sleep after 15 or 30 seconds of inactivity.
- Turn on airplane mode when you’re in a location with no WiFi or cellular-data signal.
- Reduce the frequency of updates for email, social network feeds, and other apps to once every hour.
- If you’re streaming content over a WiFi network to stretch your data allowance (and doing other data-intensive tasks, such as internet gaming), keep a power adapter handy. Our tests have found that performing tasks over WiFi can drain batteries significantly faster than using cellular-data connections.
- And if you need to quickly top off your battery before hitting the road, use a traditional charger instead of a wireless one. Though wireless chargers have come a long way, you generally get more juice faster by just plugging in your phone.
Phones With Top-Rated Battery Life
For each of the 10 phones listed below, we’ve provided the Overall Score along with the score for battery life and the specs for the battery’s capacity. The phones are ranked by the length of time the batteries lasted in our testing, which is also noted.