Donate |

January is the deadliest month for carbon monoxide poisoning

Consumer Reports News: January 03, 2008 12:19 PM

According to a new study by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the first month of the year is the worst for carbon monoxide poisoning. At least two people die each day from carbon-monoxide poisoning in January—three times the fatality rate recorded in August and July. Unintentional carbon monoxide exposure accounted for 15,000 emergency room visits annually between 1999 and 2004, with an average of 439 people dying each year.

Fatalities were highest among men and senior citizens: Men because they are engaged in more high-risk behaviors such as working with fuel-burning tools or appliances and seniors because they are likely to mistake the symptoms of CO poisoning (headaches, nausea, dizziness or confusion) for the flu or fatigue.

It should come as no surprise that CO deaths are the highest in winter (December is the second highest month). Cold weather increases the use of gas-powered furnaces as well as the use of risky alternative heating and power sources (portable generators, charcoal briquettes, propane stoves or grills) during power outages. It’s also understandable that the highest CO death rates are in colder states: Nebraska, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and North Dakota. By contrast, California has the lowest fatality rate.

With these sobering facts it’s a good time to remember the following safety tips to prevent CO poisoning:

  • Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil or coal-burning appliance inspected and serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Install battery-operated CO detectors on every level of your home.
  • Don’t use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside the home, basement or garage or outside the home near a window.
  • Don’t burn anything in an unvented stove or fireplace.
  • Don’t let a vehicle idle inside a garage attached to a house, even if the garage door is left open.
  • Don’t heat a house with a gas oven.

If a CO detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911 from outside. Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and if you or someone in your household is feeling dizzy, light-headed or nauseated.

Related reading
Read Consumer Reports full report on CO and smoke detectors, including an interactive diagram of where to place them in your home.

Also, here is our guidance on how to safely use a generator as well as information from our Home & Garden blog on wood and pellet stoves.

   

E-mail Newsletters

FREE e-mail Newsletters! Choose from cars, safety, health, and more!
Already signed-up?
Manage your newsletters here too.

Latest From Consumer Reports

Cell phones & services Cats Electronics Smart phones Electronics & computers Apple Phones & mobile devices
SMART PHONE REVIEWS
iPhone 6 and 6 Plus gain on top Android modelsVideo But Apple's new phones can't match some Samsung and LG features.
HYBRID/EV REVIEWS
Driving the future with the BMW i8 plug-in hybridVideo It delivers stunning supercar looks with an almost Prius-like mission.
REFRIGERATOR REVIEWS
Kitchens: Best refrigerators for under $1,000Video These models combine value and performance and won't break the budget.
INVESTING CENTER
7 questions you need to ask your financial adviserVideo The answers could help you get a lot more out of your money.
WINDOW REVIEWS
How to choose the best replacement windowsVideo Find the right windows for your home and climate—and your budget.
SPACE HEATER REVIEWS
7 ways to cut your heating costs this winterVideo Fuel prices are on the rise. Use our advice to keep your utility bills in check.

Connect

and safety with
subscribers and fans

Follow us on:

Cars

Cars New Car Price Report
Find out what the dealers don't want you to know! Get dealer pricing information on a new car with the New Car Price Report.

Order Your Report

Mobile

Mobile Get Ratings on the go and compare
while you shop

Learn more