Talking Cars 301: Kia Carnival and Other Tales of #VanLife
Plus, the high cost of new cars and the perils of shopping for a popular vehicle during a microchip shortage
Main theme: We discuss why the average cost of new cars has gone up to nearly $39,000, and why car loans are getting longer and longer. Then we share our opinions on the all-new Kia Carnival minivan that we spent some time driving. Is it versatile enough to attract buyers away from three-row SUVs? Finally, we answer your questions about car buying and safety.
• Should I sell my used car now that its value has skyrocketed?
• Is the microchip shortage making new cars more expensive?
• Are panoramic sunroofs unsafe in a rollover or serious crash?
• Do I need an extended warranty on a pickup truck? If so, can I negotiate the cost?
• I plan to move into a van and hit the open road (#VanLife). What should I know about van safety?
As with other “Talking Cars” episodes, this one is available free through Apple Podcasts. (Subscribe to the audio or video.) You’ll also find the audio on Spotify (log-in required) and video on YouTube.
• Big Podcast Milestone, episode 300
• Buick Envision, Destination Charges, episode 299
• Car Buying and Leasing, episode 298
• Driving the Volkswagen ID.4, episode 297
• Driving the Ford F-150 Hybrid, episode 296
Have a Question?
We’d love to include it in a future show. Upload your video questions to our Dropbox folder. Please send high-definition (1920x1080) MP4 video files with high-quality audio. Or send an iMessage question to our TalkingCars@icloud.com account.